01 Feb PCUN Job opportunity: FIELD ORGANIZER
Farmworkers and Latinx Working Families United
PCUN Job opportunity: FIELD ORGANIZER
Application deadline: Accepting applications on a rolling basis
About PCUNOur mission is to empower farm workers and working Latinx families in Oregon by building community, increasing Latinx representation in elections, and policy advocacy on both the national and state levels. We continue to build an agenda that strengthens workers’ rights by creating safer workplaces, advocating for fair wages, and pushing for enough economic security to care for our families
PCUN values the ability of workers to take action against exploitation and all of its effects. We also value equity, dignity, and respect for all workers, and the “Sí se puede ” spirit of Dolores Huerta, and Cesar Chavez.
Position overviewOur electoral field organizers will be charged with executing PCUN’s election field goals. For the 2023 electoral cycle (March-May 2023), Organizers will be working on electing a multicultural progressive slate of candidates to the Salem-Keizer and Woodburn School boards . The electoral field organizers are critical to ensuring the growth of the organization and building genuine relationships with PCUNs base, as well as developing the leadership of members and volunteers. They will also be responsible for ensuring that PCUN’s base, (farmworkers, Latinx voters, members, supporters, and volunteers) are engaged in these important campaigns. In large part, through cultivation and organizing tactics. A key part of their field responsibilities includes mass mobilization of Latinx voters through phone banking, canvassing, texting programs, and digital organizing.
PCUN’s electoral field organizers must be highly organized, effective communicators, self-motivated, and passionate about social justice. The field organizers will be supervised by PCUN’s Field Director.
- Supports Field Director in accomplishing PCUN’s voter outreach, registration, and turnout goals.
- Organizes and leads campaign activities; phone banks, digital events, textbanks, canvasses, mailers, and ballot assistance events.
- Provides support on logistics for mass phonebanks and textbanks, and volunteer activities.
- Builds a strong team of volunteers to support the work of PCUN.
- Cultivate genuine relationships with PCUN’s base while phone banking and text banking.
- Actively participate in debriefs and reports back daily post voter outreach events.
- Meticulous eye on details, and timely nightly and weekly reporting of field work.
- Keeping close counts of voters called, and volunteers recruited.
- Data entry and follow-up with partners, volunteers, and the base of registered voters.
- Ensure volunteers and supporters are always thanked in a timely manner.
- Attends mandatory onboarding and other training.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
- Passionate about farmworker and immigrant rights, social justice, and gender justice.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
- Bicultural, with a strong understanding of Oregon’s Latinx community.
- Experience leading/coordinating/working on political campaigns.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and willing to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and late evenings.
- Not required but preferred knowledge of the Voter Activation Network (VAN) , My Campaign, EveryAction, Thutalk. Self-motivated and resourceful. Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to build trust and maintain genuine relationships.
- Ability to spend extended periods of time on voter outreach.
How to Apply:
- A resume (1 page max) detailing relevant experience, work history, education and accomplishments.
- At least two references that can speak to your professional experience/community service, their contact information, and your relationship to them.
- Send your documents to April Alvarez, Field Director, email@example.com
Location: We will be hybrid: For the most part doing in person canvases with Covid-19 protocols throughout the campaign and some virtual phone banks.
Duration: Temporary position (March-May 2023)
Hours: 20-25 hrs (part-time) for the duration of the election cycle. Must be able to work evenings, and weekends.
Compensation: $20-23/hr, monthly phone stipend