04 Feb We’re Hiring!
FIELD ORGANIZER (4 positions)
PCUN’s fundamental goal is to empower farmworkers to understand and take action against systematic exploitation and all of its effects. To achieve this end, PCUN is involved in community and workplace organizing on many different levels. We’ve worked to empower farmworkers, Latinx families, and immigrants in Marion County for over 40 years.
Acción Política PCUNista (APP) is PCUN’s (Oregon’s Farmworker Union) electoral program. APP is dedicated to building Latinx political power in the Mid-Willamette Valley through issue-based campaigns, candidate campaigns and voter engagement and mobilization.
Our Field organizers will be accountable for executing PCUN’s field goals. PCUN is working to elect the first Latinx candidate to the Salem-Keizer School Board. The field organizer is critical to ensuring the growth of the organization and building genuine relationships with PCUN’s base, as well as developing the leadership of members and volunteers. They will also be responsible for ensuring that PCUN’s base, (farmworkers, Latinx voters, members, supporters, and volunteers) are engaged in this important campaign. In large part, through cultivation and organizing tactics. A key part of their field responsibilities includes volunteer recruitment, phone banking, door-knocking and volunteer management. PCUN’s field organizers must be highly organized, effective communicators, self-motivated, and passionate about social justice. The field organizers will be supervised be PCUN’s Field Manager.
- Supports Field Manager in accomplishing PCUN’s voter outreach, registration, and turnout goals.
- Organizes and leads campaign activities; phone banks, canvasses, mailers, and door knocking events.
- Takes care of logistics for mass canvasses, and volunteer activities.
- Builds strong team of volunteers to support the work of PCUN.
- Cultivate genuine relationships with PCUN’s base while door knocking and phone-banking.
- Actively participate in debriefs and reports back daily post door and phone canvasses.
- Meticulous eye on details, and timely nightly and weekly reporting of field work.
- Keeping close counts of door knocks, voters called, and volunteers recruited.
- Data entry and follow-up with partners, volunteers, and the base of registered voters.
- Base-building and volunteer recruitment
- Makes presentations about PCUN in the Salem-Keizer Community.
- Collect stories from students/parents/community members for PCUN’s communication purposes.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
- Passionate about farmworker and immigrant rights, social justice, and gender justice.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
- Bicultural, with a strong understanding of Oregon’s Latinx community.
- Experienced leading/coordinating political campaigns.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and willing to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and late evenings.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft word, excel. Some knowledge of the Voter Activation Network, My Campaign, and EveryAction is a plus.
- Self-motivated and resourceful. Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to build trust and maintain genuine relationships.
- Ability to spend long hours phone banking and door knocking.
- Comfortable with face-to-face interaction with the public
How to Apply: Submit the following as soon as possible
- A resume (1 page max) detailing relevant experience, work history, education and accomplishments.
- At least 3 references, their contact information, and your relationship to them.
- Send your documents to email@example.com
- Location: Northeast Salem, with occasional travel to PCUN office in Woodburn, Oregon
- Duration: Temporary position (February 28th, 2019 – May 24th, 2019)
- Hours: Part-time for duration of the Salem-Keizer School Bond Campaign
- Compensation: $15/hr
- Application Deadline: Open until filled